Re: Student Looking for A Final Year Project

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:18, Blake_2_Drayson@sbphrd.com wrote:
>         I'm a student at Kent University Canterbury UK I will be starting
> my final year project some time next
> year and I am looking to find a project that involves linux development
> ideally kernel / module based or a port
> of software to a specific platform.  I am unsure as to what projects are
> about as I have to do a unique project
> and not a redevelopment of something that has already been done. Any
> ideas.

Currently when logged in to a remote server for a command line session I
might type:

cp /u\t/lo\t/bi\t/foo /tmp

Where '\t' represents a tab character.  Now every character is sent to the
server separately and encrypted separately when using ssh which multiplies
the data transfers.

Ideally we could have a terminal type that allows the server to say "local
echo all characters, buffer them and flush the buffer on '\n', '\t', (and any
other interesting characters)".  That would allow the above command to be
sent in 4 packets of data instead of 15+!  The 3270 emulation does similar
things but isn't designed for UNIX use, so it doesn't work for TAB's.

I think that developing a suitable new terminal emulation would be an
interesting research project, and could lead on to a job with one of the
larger companies that are investing in Linux development.