Re: Student Looking for A Final Year Project

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001 12:11, Guus Sliepen wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 06:56:40PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Ideally we could have a terminal type that ALLOWS THE SERVER TO SAY
> > "local echo all characters, buffer them and flush the buffer on '\n',
> > '\t', (and ANY OTHER INTERESTING CHARACTERS)".  That would allow the
> > above command to be sent in 4 packets of data instead of 15+!  The 3270
> > emulation does similar things but isn't designed for UNIX use, so it
> > doesn't work for TAB's.
>
> Actually, one good solution is turning on the Nagle algorithm, or rather
> not using TCP_NODELAY (I don't know if ssh sets it, but I guess it does to
> improve responsiveness). What you propose will break situations where you
> have to type one non-interesting key to invoke an action, people wait for

No, the server just registers that key as a key that will push all the data.
It would be more efficient than anything that the Nagle algorithm could
produce AND give the best responsiveness.

BTW  All correctly written terminal programs will push all data out and
defeat the Nagle algorithm anyway.

> it to happen but it won't be sent out because of your proposed terminal
> type. The only way you could safely do this is if the server side would
> send cues whether or not to do character/word/line buffering.

Of course, as I specified in my original message!