Re: reopening ECN bugreport/netbase

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 03:19:01PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 06:02:10PM +0200, T.Pospisek's MailLists wrote:
> > So since netbase does not want to be the proper place, a better
> > fix/workaround (I'm sincerely trying hard not to be ironic!) would be to
> > use debconf with a default value of "0" and to inform/ask the user about
> > it when installing a new kernel.
>
> and store/implement it where?  /etc/sysctl.conf is unacceptable as its
> a conffile belonging to procps.
>
> and personally i don't want /etc/sysctl.conf to become another debconf
> [mis]managed config file.

I agree -- sysctl.conf should never be touched by the distribution -- it is
for local settings, specific to each machine, and there should never be a
chance that it could possibly be overwritten automatically, as that could
result in major breakage on some systems.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>