Re: reopening ECN bugreport/netbase

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Anthony Towns wrote:

> severity 110892 wishlist
> thanks
>
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 02:42:23PM +0200, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
> > # On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 06:31:19 +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> > # > On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 12:33:35PM +0200, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
> > # > > I don't know if this is the right place to assign the bug.
>
> It's not a bug at all really, and it's certainly not a "critical" one.

>From the docu:

critical   makes unrelated software on the system (or the whole system)
           break, [...]

This is *exacly* what happens after an update from a vanilla 2.2.x kernel
to a 2.4. Some sites plain disapear from the internet, which is not a
catastrophy. What's worse is that with some routers you will *completely*
loose TCP network connectivity. If you happen to be using your box as a
firewall it's the whole LAN that'll be dropped.

How does this differ from the phrasing ".. or the whole system) break"?
Does there need some physical violence be involved to fullfill the
requirements for a critical bugreport?

> If
> you happen not to like ECN on your systems add "sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn=0"
> to /etc/sysctl.conf (which is a much better place for such things than
> /etc/network/options) and be done with it.

I couldn't care less about ECN or whatever acronym. The problem is that
"the whole system) break"s. That's a problem. And this will happen at
every single site that f.ex. is using an mildly old Zyxel router.

> AFAIC, the default settings'll remain exactly as they are in the kernel.

There's a problem and no one feels responsible. Well, so I reiterate from
the begining. If netbase is not responsible and that setting has to be
set through /etc/sysctl.conf and since the procps package is not supposed
to know what possible kernel-feature-configuration combinations are
possible/allowed (check this output:

        error: '/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn' is an unknown key
        (when starting from a 2.2.x kernel)

) then it's the kernel-image package that needs to make sure it's runing
in a sane environment. So *please* can we add something like:

	if ! grep /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn /etc/sysctl.conf >/dev/null;
		then echo sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn=0 >> /etc/sysctl.conf
	fi

to the kernel-image-2.4.x postinst.

*t

     Tomas Pospisek
     sourcepole    -   Linux & Open Source Solutions
     http://sourcepole.com
     Elestastrasse 18,  7310 Bad Ragaz,  Switzerland
     Tel:+41 (81) 330 77 13,  Fax:+41 (81) 330 77 12