Re: reopening ECN bugreport/netbase

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 04:32:42PM +0200, Tomas Pospisek wrote:

> ) then it's the kernel-image package that needs to make sure it's runing
> in a sane environment. So *please* can we add something like:
>
> 	if ! grep /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn /etc/sysctl.conf >/dev/null;
> 		then echo sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn=0 >> /etc/sysctl.conf
> 	fi
>
> to the kernel-image-2.4.x postinst.

no you cannot.  that is a policy violation and will get a severity
serious bug report to have it removed if its ever added.

/etc/sysctl.conf is a conffile belonging to procps NO package may
modify it in maintainer scripts.  since sysctl will produce errors at
boot if this is added to the default sysctl.conf that is not
acceptable either.

furthermore if you simply installed a 2.4 kernel but decided not to
boot it, or decided to go back to 2.2 you start getting errors at boot
again.

since aj won't add anything to netbase the admin will simply have to
turn off ecn themselves. thats the only option.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/