Re: feedback on jablicator: package choice sharing tool

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 09:07:46PM -0700, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:

> I just wrote "jablicator" [1], which is a tool to help novice Debian
> administrators leech off of more experienced administrators.

> 0: General reactions? Would anyone consider using this tool?
>
> 1: Does some other Debian package already have this functionality?

The easy way to do it is to use dpkg --get-selections to create a text
file package list, and dpkg --set-selections to set it, before doing
an appropriate apt/dpkg command to update to the selected list (apt-get
dselect-upgrade?).

Cool name, though. Don't change that, whatever else you may end up changing.

It'd be good to be able to create something like a commented version of
the output from dpkg --get-selections so that you could say why you've
purged lynx and added w3m-ssl, for example.

Cheers,

Nick

--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
You can create your own opportunities this week.  Blackmail a senior executive.