Re: How many people need locales?

Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> writes:
> Jean-Marc Chaton wrote:

>> - Almost all French users (and I think I can extrapolate: all the
>>   users who need to read messages with non-ascii chars) need to set
>>   up a '/etc/locale.gen' to see them correctly for example with
>>   mutt, and that even though (and it's my case) the whole
>>   installation, menus etc is still in English for a lot a reasons.
>
> but you have to realize one thing: they are not doing it because of
> locale. They are doing it because they want to tell their
> applications to pass 8-bit characters unaffected.

I don't believe it's that simple: presumably these users also want to
compose messages in their native languages.  As such they will need to
use an editor; many editors provide operations to modify letter case
(and I at least find these operations useful - so I speculate that
many others will too).

In general, I would expect the locale to have be set correctly for the
character set in use for these operations to work.

That said, some programs don't get this right even when the locale is
set correctly; I can't make XEmacs 21 behave correctly, for example.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/