Re: How many people need locales?

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 12:55:53PM +0200, Jean-Marc Chaton wrote:
> * Santiago Vila [Mon, 03/09/2001 at 12:03 +0200]
> > The bug basically says "/etc/locale.gen should not be a conffile
> > because most people will need to modify it"
>
> I agree :
>
> - Almost all French users (and I think I can extrapolate: all the users
>   who need to read messages with non-ascii chars) need to set up a
>   '/etc/locale.gen' to see them correctly for example with mutt, and that
>   even though (and it's my case) the whole installation, menus etc  is
>   still in English for a lot a reasons.

but you have to realize one thing: they are not doing it because
of locale. They are doing it because they want to tell their
applications to pass 8-bit characters unaffected.
Perhaps there should be default locale C.8bit (or something) and
then most users would not need to set it up.

(there was already an agreement that C.utf8 would be desirable)