Re: How many people need locales?

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 12:03:19PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> The bug basically says "/etc/locale.gen should not be a conffile
> because most people will need to modify it" but Ben does not agree
> that people using locales is "most people".

Recent copies (unless it was changed back to big file edition) are
blank, and add the list of locales to /usr/share/doc/locales/SUPPORTED.gz.
So people will very rarely get prompted for changes. Then, what's the problem?
I don't want to have to go through a debconf interface to try and configure
my locale.gen file; heck, SUPPORTED doesn't even include half my locales
(mainly UTF-8). How does making it a conffile hurt things again?

(locale.gen attached as an extreme example that needs to be supported.)

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and

ar_EG.UTF-8  UTF-8
de_DE        ISO-8859-1
de_DE.UTF-8  UTF-8
el_GR.UTF-8  UTF-8