Re: How many people need locales?

[ This was sent to Ben privately by accident; I'm resending it to the
  list. ]

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 03:33:52AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> This isn't a matter of not using it, it's a matter of a sane base
> install. Perhaps base-config could ask if the user wants locales. Know
> what? That question is being asked in english _anyway_.

A "universal OS" (which we claim on our website), with dysfunctional
support for the language which the user speaks natively, even during the
installation phase, is insane IMHO.

> Installing locales by default doesn't even come close to solving this
> problem, so there is no point in including it by default.

Can you please explain why? Or do you have another solution to this
problem?

Roger