Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 11:59:34AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	We already package things that we ourselces can't completely
>  fix. or even know if they are totally screwed up or not. (I do not
>  use nnimap, and I can't tell whether it is screwed up wither -- how
>  long do you want to wait until I package a enw release?)

But the responsibility is rather on the side of upstream - If somebody
finds a backdoor in whatever package, the damage for Debian _as_a_whole_
won't be that big as it is in every package in every distribution
(assuming other distributions would publish the backdoor as soon as they
found it)
If someone sends you an antisemetic pamphlet in german rather than a
german translation and this goes public, Debian will be out at leat
around here I guess.

Of course, this is not 100% valid, IIRC RedHat were accused of
introducing a backdoor, but still I think the responsibility is not 100%
on the side of Debian when talking about the pristine source, but it is
100% on our side when talking about translations.

Not that I personally think bad translation would turn up.

Michael