How many people need locales?

Santiago Vila writes:

 > For the purposes of determining whether or not "most users need to
 > change the /etc/locale.gen file" Ben and I need an estimate of the
 > proportion of Debian users using locales among all Debian users.

Just about anyone who's not from English speaking countries. For
example, we Finns need 'åäö' and their capital versions. They just
don't work if you don't set locales right.  If you take a look at even
just European languages you can see that most of them cannot be
written with a-zA-Z. Actually, I think only English can. I'm not sure
of some of the smaller countries like Belgia, though.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -w --                           Ari Makela <hauva@iki.fi> #
#                                                 http://arska.org/hauva/ #

# "Sailing is, after all, a kind of grace, a kind of magic." - Phil Berman