Re: step by step HOWTO switch debian installation into utf-8

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Drew Parsons wrote:

> > en_AU UTF-8 tells it to make en_AU a UTF-8 locale. If you want
> > en_AU.ISO-8859-1 as well, then add
> > 	en_AU UTF-8
> > 	en_AU.ISO-8859-1 ISO-8859-1
> > or (what I would recommmend)
> > 	en_AU.UTF-8 UTF-8
> > 	en_AU ISO-8859-1

> Just out of interest, for what reason would you recommend the latter rather
> than the former?

The only reason I can see for this is so that you don't surprise other users
of the system by breaking their current en_AU locale setting.  If you're on a
single-user system, I don't see any reason for not pointing en_AU at UTF-8.

> And what about
>        en_AU.UTF-8 UTF-8
>        en_AU.ISO-8859-1 ISO-8859-1

Then 'en_AU' is not a usable locale, and you have to specify a charset to get
anything...  There's a benefit to having a default charset for the locale.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer