Re: sysctl should disable ECN by default

#include <hallo.h>
Neil Spring wrote on Sat Sep 01, 2001 um 06:39:58PM:

> http://uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0105.1/0145.html
>
> As David noted, I'm in favor of turning ECN off-as-default.

Good. The problem - it is on by default in our precompiled kernel-image
packages. To disable (by default), you have to remove ECN support from
kernel or either patch the kernel to make int off-as-default (*) or put
in in the template of sysctl.conf.

(*) I doubt Herbert Xu would like such modifications.

> My point is still that it should be dirt simple to turn it
> on again.  If you're going to quote the social contract,

Okay, why not just put the line into sysctl.conf and present a big
warning in the baseconfig?

> then you should see the logic in respecting the user's
> wishes, and not trying to disable what they've knowingly
> enabled in the kernel configuration.

Look, we have in general two parts of users:

- "administrator" kind, people that _may_ need ECN (but mostly don't
  though). We can expect them to RTFM and remove the hook from
  sysctl.conf after reading the baseconfig message.

- the "users" - the majority. People that do as less RTFM as possible,
  that do not need ECN and the should not be bothered with such
  problems. This people would ignore the warning and have an easier life
  without getting in touch with sysctl.conf.

Is my proposal acceptable now?

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--