Re: Translating Debian packages' descriptions

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 02:17:01AM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
> Hi Raphael,
>
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 01:59:32PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
 [snip]
> > using my "fr" environnment I could'n reconfigure debconf to use the
> > Gnome frontend, it wasn't listed in the proposed choices because the
> > french translation was outdated and didn't include the new Gnome
> > frontend. The contrary can happen, a choice has been removed but my
> > french translation does still propose it :( I should have submitted
> > a bug about this so that we can find a solution for debconf ...
>
> Hm, IMHO the package maintainer should be intelligent enough to notice
> that he has made an incompatible change to the templates, and as a
> result delete/comment out all the translations. Or did you use
> translations from a different source than the package itself?

Ouch ! As translator, I can promise you that if Joey Hess had removed all my
translation just because he added 'gnome' to the list of choices, he would
had to search out another french translator !

The debconf i18n stuff is suposed to discard outdated translations, but it
failed in this case. Call this a bug.

So, you can fix that bug, and reinvent the wheel, or use the gettext
mecanism to handle outdated translations.

But we where at package descriptions, not debconf templates. (one problem
after the other ;)

Bye, Mt.

PS: this perticular problem is fixed, since I updated the french
translation. But the problem still exists for these languages: de, fi, gl,
it, ja, ko, nl, pl, pt_br, ru, sv, zh_cn and zh_tw.
To whom should I send my translation bug reports ? ;)