Re: sysctl should disable ECN by default

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 10:23:05PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> Neil Spring wrote on Sat Sep 01, 2001 um 12:34:40PM:
>
> > being turned off behind my back.  ECN doesn't need any
> > more inertia slowing its deployment.  It's already an
> > experimental, off by default, addition to the kernel.
>
> Why do many people think that it is OFF by default?

because it is.

> The fact is, it is ON (see kernel docs) and it breaks with many sites.
> We could live long without this experimental feature, so why _force_ the
> users to use the feature now and make a stable distribution with limited
> networking ability?

blah blah blah.  its only on by default if you turn on the CONFIG_ECN
option in the kernel which is OFF by default (and still hidden behind
experimental apparently.

and again woody ships with a 2.2 kernel which doesn't even have that
option.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/