Re: RFC: Signed packages and translations

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 01:32:26PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> A process on the ftp-master patch the deb with the translation, if
> the translation is not alread in the the package. This process don't
> change the package or the version number- It only add the
> translation parts in the ar file.

Right, that's what I had been thinking of, too.

> > - How do bug reports get routed to the right place (program bug vs.
> >   translation errors)?
>
> in future the ddts will get bts support. Now the bts on the ddts is
> only a notification system. (the server send a diff to the
> translator)

Nice!

> > - How do we avoid that a package is updated too often? Updating the
> >   .deb for each translation change is far too often - maybe add any
> >   new translations the moment the package moves from unstable to
> >   testing? Obviously, people using unstable will then not benefit from
> >   the translations.
>
> which uploads? There are no extra uploads.

There have to be, in my eyes. Consider this scenario:

- Maintainer uploads package with changed English translation
- Maintainer goes AWOL
- Translators catch up with translations

Now what happens? The translations are there, waiting to be
incorporated into any new upload of the package, but there is none.
Isn't this exactly the problem that we have right now with templates,
and that we're trying to solve with this whole system?

> > - What would source packages look like for such a system? It /is/
> >   possible to continue to use the old .orig.tar.gz + diff.gz, but
> >   automatic updates for new translations would invalidate the
> >   maintainer's signature. Should we seize the opportunity to switch to
> >   a more flexible source package format? Or just switch to
> >   .orig.tar.gz + diff.gz + .i18n.tar.gz?
>
> The new source format is the old source format.
>
> The translated parts are in the normal diff.gz.

OK, but re-diffing will invalidate the maintainer's signature on the
diff! Hm, I guess this doesn't matter as long as that sig's sole
purpose is to authorize the upload. :-/

All the best,

  Richard

--