Re: RFC: Signed packages and translations

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 10:36:59PM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 01:32:26PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > > - How do we avoid that a package is updated too often? Updating the
> > >   .deb for each translation change is far too often - maybe add any
> > >   new translations the moment the package moves from unstable to
> > >   testing? Obviously, people using unstable will then not benefit from
> > >   the translations.
> >
> > which uploads? There are no extra uploads.
>
> There have to be, in my eyes. Consider this scenario:
>
> - Maintainer uploads package with changed English translation
> - Maintainer goes AWOL
> - Translators catch up with translations
>
> Now what happens? The translations are there, waiting to be
> incorporated into any new upload of the package, but there is none.
> Isn't this exactly the problem that we have right now with templates,
> and that we're trying to solve with this whole system?

if only katie put new parts in the deb. yes, we habe a problem. But
maybe we can run add_translation_to_old_packages.pl weekly and this do
the job.

> > > - What would source packages look like for such a system? It /is/
> > >   possible to continue to use the old .orig.tar.gz + diff.gz, but
> > >   automatic updates for new translations would invalidate the
> > >   maintainer's signature. Should we seize the opportunity to switch to
> > >   a more flexible source package format? Or just switch to
> > >   .orig.tar.gz + diff.gz + .i18n.tar.gz?
> >
> > The new source format is the old source format.
> >
> > The translated parts are in the normal diff.gz.
>
> OK, but re-diffing will invalidate the maintainer's signature on the
> diff! Hm, I guess this doesn't matter as long as that sig's sole
> purpose is to authorize the upload. :-/

no, only the translation in the package source (from the mailtainer
are in the source.) Extra translations from katie or the weekly script
are not in the source. You don't need real source, the translation is
the source.

There is no binary, I don't see a problem with this point.

Gruss
Grisu
Windows ist der One-Night-Stand unter den Betriebssystemen. Man fühlt
sich so billig, wenn man es benutzt hat. -- Illiad in uf