Re: /usr/dict/ -> /usr/share/dict/ request (bug #110632)

[ trimming Cc list ]

On 30 Aug 2001, David Coe wrote:

> A user has filed a wishlist bug against (potato) wenglish because the
> (slink) symlink from /usr/dict/words is now a symlink from
> /usr/share/dict/words, per FHS.  This user would like /usr/dict/words
> reinstated as a symlink to the user's preferred word list.
>
> He claims, not unreasonably, that old scripts and users expect
> to find /usr/dict/words.

I think old scripts and users should adapt to FHS too, and if we do
that we are not helping people to do the move.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the reason Debian made symlinks in
/usr/doc is that there was software in Debian (for example, web servers)
which used such symlinks.

Since this is not the case with /usr/dict, I don't see justified
enough that Debian creates those symlinks.