Re: ALERT: XFree86 4.1.0-3 maintainer scripts hosed; please wait for 4.1.0-4

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 10:12:13AM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:

> So, the upshot of this is what?  Someone is fucking around with
> /bin/sh doing bash things?
>
> I want to use ash for bin/sh, I don't want to use bash.  Is there a
> problem with that?

not at all, in fact everyone using woody/sid should have /bin/sh ->
/bin/ash IMO.  it detects broken scripts much better and will make
visible evil scripts using bashisms while still claiming to be posix
(using #!/bin/sh instead of #!/bin/bash if the bashism is desired for
who knows what reason).

not a criticism of Branden, but if he had set /bin/sh -> /bin/ash its
likely this bug would have never made it into the archives.  i have
found ash to be an excellent shell for uncovering bugs/sloppiness in
my own shell scripts.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/