Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 08:51:08PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Steve Greenland wrote:
> > A standalone .deb w/o a Package file doesn't integrate into apt or
> > dselect, so there's no where to show the descriptions. The only reason
> > one would have an interest in such a .deb is that one already has a
> > pretty good idea of what it is, presumably from an accompaning README,
> > or the webpage with a link, or somesuch. I doubt very many people go
> > around browsing random .debs with 'dpkg-deb -I'.
>
> Speak for yourself. I do it all the time. I also regularly mail people
> .deb's, or put them up breifly for ftp without a Packages file, or
> distribute and receive them in a myriad of other ways that don't involve
> apt.

btw: I do this myself. And I will not changed this.

> > I, as a developer, am responsible for what is in my packages. How can I
> > be responsible for things I can't read? I mean, I suppose I could work
> > my way through one of the Western Europeans. But Polish? Or Korean? Hah!
>
> So you don't feel yourself competant to maintain any packages that have
> gettextized messages translated to other languages either?

No, he only move the po file in the source (or the upstream make
this). He can't make real checks and reviews. He only delay the
process.

But this all is more upstream. (normal, debian upstream packages like
apt, dpkg, debconf etc. are a exception)

> Or if you do, how is that any different than maintaining translated
> descriptions?

translation is writen from the debian project/maintainer. We (the
debian project) must translated this (or nobody will make the work).

We must give the translators a framework, that work and that work with
no big delays.

(I don't know other big project in depth, but IMHO:
  The kde project have all source in CVS and they have own translation
  groups. If someone translate something, this group can submit the
  translation in the CVS and with the next (beta) release, the package
  have this translation. And KDE has as a result >20 supported
  languages...)

Gruss
Grisu
 als typisch für linux benutzer gilt aber wohl immernoch eher was ala:
"man blafurz | grep RTFM | cut -c  /d 10-2837 | uahha"  (Adam Kopacz)