Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

Hello

After read >30 mails about the proposal, I will start writing mails...

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 05:06:15PM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:
> > How about the facts that the description travels with the deb,
> > so I can mail you a deb and you get the descriptions appropriate
> > for your language, whether or not you have access to any Package
> > files. What about the fact that decentral translation lets Joe
> > Bob release a deb with multilingual descriptions, whereas the
> > central translation only lets Debian and people willing to
> > set up a Packages file to release it.
>
> Grisu explained a way to do that, I think. Instead of releasing preformated
> .mo files, it would be possible that each project building packages put a po
> file somewhere under /usr/share/dpkg-desc, and then all these files are
> merged. So, this approach is more a centralized way within Debian,
> decentralized for others...

yes, this make the trick.

> > Most developers are at least bilingual (unless I'm underestimating
> > the monolinguage English-speaking contingent), and could probably
> > understand many Latinate/Germantic languages well enough to pick
> > out something really wrong and find a dictionary to check it out.
> > A misformated description - 3 bullets changed to 2, or the like,
> > could be seen in almost any language description by almost any
> > developer.

[...]

> We could also change the ddts mail server so that it mails new translations
> to the maintainer for review. We already have it mail any new french
> translations to the french l10n ML (don't we, grisu ? ;). So, the maintainer
> would have a sort of veto on translations. The translation won't get blocked
> until the maintainer says ok, but he can remove a wrong translation.

this change is not a problem. I can send notifications mails to the
package@packages.debian.org address in one hour... If this request
from more maintainers.

to martin: no, I make a error and save the description in a wrong, no
           existed dir. Now I fix this I I will send this mails to
	   french l10n ML. sorry

And now every translation is read from grisu and from the coordinator.
If they see errors (like empty translations, spelling, format, ...),
they will mail the translator and teach the translator.

In future I have planed a review process. In this process any
translation is send to a other translator a second time and this
translator can check the translation...

Gruss
Grisu
A common mistake that people make, when trying to design something
fools.  -- Douglas Adams - Mostly Harmless