Re: lvm bug - possible solution

Hi,

Quoting John H. Robinson, IV (jhriv@ucsd.edu):
> so that begets the question: when is the best time to run a vgscan?
Multiple times! :)

> after a change to an lvm volume (and how can we enforce that)?
> my guess is that we cannot effectively enforce it, w/o a little nag
> message that says ``please run vgscan''
A nag message, check if / is rw on boot and run vgscan if it is, and run it
at shutdown.

If things go wrong then, we've got a user who is using ext2 on an lvm
volume [1], doesn't read the manuals, and has a crash on a particularly nasty
moment in time.
IIAC you're on your own then ;)

Greets,
	Robert

[1] Or any other filesystem that needs to be mounted ro first.

--
			      Linux Generation
   encrypted mail preferred. finger rvdm@debian.org for my GnuPG/PGP key.