apt-proxy on FreeBSD (probably off-topic)

I'm want to run apt-proxy for all my boxes in the lan on my
FreeBSD box (mainly, because it has almost 40GB of free space)
I installed rsync and apt-proxy. After some trial&error I found
out that apt-proxy is dependant on gnu date. So I installed gnu
date but it still doesn't work. apt-get just waits till timeout.
I tried enabling debugging but I don't see anything in the
apt-proxy log.

Maybe somebody got it to work?

Cheers
Martin

--
HOST SYSTEM NOT RESPONDING, PROBABLY DOWN. DO YOU WANT TO WAIT? (Y/N)