Re: mmx related packages

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 08:12:28PM +1000, Chanop Silpa-Anan wrote:
> After trying to get some dv software running, I have noticed that a few
> packages have mmx code in it, e.g. quicktime4linux, libdv, libjpeg-mmx.
> I wonder if there is any policy/guide line for this? if I would like to
> package mmx optimized binary.
>
> i386/i486 wouldn't run these codes unless people install mmx emulation.
> Some packages can be conditionally compiled with / without mmx without
> much of a headache, some cannot.

No. At least for libdv, this is not correct. libdv checks at runtime if
MMX support is available and switches to the appropriate subroutines.
There's a compile-time switch to choose between plain C code and some
x86 assembler optimisations, but that's separate from the MMX issue.

When packaging a binary that's linked with libdv, you don't have to
take care about MMX stuff (unless other parts of the program come with
their own MMX code, of course).

Regards,

Daniel.