Re: new port

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> > I have also some ideas
> > 2) I will use the 'virtual mount' capability of cygwin: then
> >  the user will freely choose where to install the debian stuff
> >   (I am currently installing it under d:\debian)
> >  while the Debian programs will see a regular debian file tree
>
> Can you explain how that works?

That's quite simple, actually.

There's a hidden "/cygwin" (hidden in the sense that you cannot see it,
not even with ls -a, nor can you have it as current directory) which has
subdirectories for each windows drive, e.g. on a system with "C:",
"D:" and "E:", there is /cygwin/c, /cygwin/d and /cygwin/e

You can mount any directory as any /cygwin-directory:

mount /cygwin/c/temp /tmp

will mount C:\temp as /tmp. Note that this is case-insensitive, since this
is done from within Windows. I believe it is also possible to mount to an
already mounted directory:

mount /bin /usr/bin

but I'm not too sure of that.

--