Re: Help! apt /dpkg very, very confused

on Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 09:56:44PM -0400, David A. Greene (greened@eecs.umich.edu) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > on Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 03:36:49PM -0400, David A. Greene (greened@eecs.umich.edu) wrote:
>
> >>apt downloaded everything but when dpkg was unpacking libc6,
> >>my machine locked up.  Ok, so that's one problem that needs
> >>to be looked into.
> >>

> > Unless I'm missing something, this post might better be directed to
> > debian-user rather than debian-devel.
>
> I don't think so.  There was a problem with apt/dpkg installing
> libc6 from unstable.  This is not an ordinary user problem.  In
> any event, installing libc6 manually with dpkg seems to have
> solved the problem.  It doesn't explain why I got a machine lock-up,
> though or why apt didn't recover gracefully.

Note this is sent to list and David Greene.

I'd sent an off-list mail, with a suggestion, not a directive.  I'd
checked briefly on your userid and didn't find other messages, thought
you might have been a newbie confused over appropriate list for topic.

Please do not reply to private, off-list, mail on list.