Re: RedHat Compatibility

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 01:53:07PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Ben> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 10:07:50AM +0200, Rainer Dorsch
>     Ben> wrote:
>     >> Hello,
>     >>
>     >> I just want to point out a problem, you are faced with when
>     >> running Debian in a commercial environment.
>     >>
>     >> Debian needs to be redhat binary compatible.
>
>     Ben> No, RedHat needs to be compatible with everyone else. We
>     Ben> aren't going to spend precious time trying to keep up with
>     Ben> compatibility issues that they introduce.
>
> It seems sort of silly to say in Debian what people are or are not
> going to spend their time doing.  If running comercial software is
> important to someone and that person either does the work of making it
> work on Debian themselves or manages to convince others to do it for
> them, then I believe they have acted reasonably.

You're right, I did not mean to speak for all of Debian.

My point remains. The issue pointed out here is not one of RedHat vs.
Debian, it is a metter of gcc vs. glibc and backward compatibility.

The fact is, we cannot run C++ applications compiled on RedHat 7.1. It
is not a compatibility issue, it is an ABI issue with gcc-2.96. Unless
someone wants to implement a complete RedHat environment, and use
wrappers to execute the programs, it wont get done. That given, you are
better off creating a chroot with rpm's unpacked into it, and using that
to execute the programs, or just create the wrappers yourself if you
don't want a chroot. Much easier than trying to maintain your own
gcc-2.96 under Debian, along with a seperate glibc compiled with it.

> Personally I think it would be great if we dealt with some of the
> smaller compatibility issues, like packaging up the libc++ versions
> that RH uses.  I'm not pushing for it because I don't have time myself
> and I don't have money to pay someone.  But it seems that Debian is
> mostly a community of people working on what they find
> interesting/necessary.  If compatability is what you care about, why
> shouldn't you work on Redhat compatability?

Alien is your friend. Provide a HOWTO, and be done with it. No sense is
wasting time and archive space just to repackage a bunch of binary
.rpm's.

Ben