Re: RedHat Compatibility

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 10:07:50AM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just want to point out a problem, you are faced with when running Debian in
> a commercial environment.
>
> Debian needs to be redhat binary compatible.

No, RedHat needs to be compatible with everyone else. We aren't going to
spend precious time trying to keep up with compatibility issues that
they introduce.

Yes, this may be clouded view. However, the ISVs out there are on the
rampage against incompatibilities like this, and sooner or later,
everyone will have to be on the same page. Debian already does that by
not introducing incompatibilities. Commerical vendors of Linux will
have to start playing by the rules.

Ben