Re: RedHat Compatibility

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 01:15:36PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > Debian needs to be redhat binary compatible.
>
> No, RedHat needs to be compatible with everyone else. We aren't going to
> spend precious time trying to keep up with compatibility issues that
> they introduce.

Sorry, but this is a volunteer group. What will you do if someone comes and
creates a task-redhat-compat package? Not accept it?

I think what you meant to say is something like 'I think we should not spend
time on this.'

In an ideal world I would say you're completely right. But unfortunately the
world is far from perfect and many software vendors only have RedHat version
available for download. In this case a redhat-compat package would come
handy.

> Yes, this may be clouded view. However, the ISVs out there are on the
> rampage against incompatibilities like this, and sooner or later,
> everyone will have to be on the same page. Debian already does that by

But that does not mean everyone is on our page even though it is the correct
one. Don't get me wrong, we should work towards that goal, but looking at other
areas I have to notice that companies tend to create their own standards.

> not introducing incompatibilities. Commerical vendors of Linux will
> have to start playing by the rules.

Great, if they would do that, but what if not? How do you want to force
them? I think you cannot. Thus we have to live with that. So if we can add
compatibility to them WITHOUT creating incompatibilities with the standard,
why not?

After all this thread was about some additional shared library. This won't
harm our system at all. Okay, this particular library is already present
making my points mood.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes