Re: Debbugs: The Next Generation

Itai Zukerman (2001-08-09 16:32:14 -0400) :

> I would go further, and say that what you really want is a BTS
> *server*.  This completely seperates submitting and querying from
> back-end processing (and makes you think about a suitable language
> for manipulating bugs, without worrying too much about
> implementation).  I'd started working on such a thing, but got bored
> and lazy.  Oh, well.

If it goes that way, may I suggest using CORBA?  I've been coding in
ORBit-Python for over a year for a server sitting above a PostgreSQL
database, and I must say I'm pretty satisfied with it.  Clients in
Perl, Python, whatever, it works and it works well.  And contrary to
popular belief (at least among a reasonable proportion of my
coworkers), it's very easy in Perl/Python.  Haven't tried any other
language though.

  I'm told there are two tries at PHP bindings too, although I'm not
sure they are very advanced.  It might provide an interesting and
rather easy way of having a synchronous web access to the BTS.

  I'm ready to give help and/or advice if it starts in this way,
although I cannot promise to give copious amounts of time.  I'm also
not willing to risk legal problems if I contribute wode I've written
for work to an external place, and I would therefore prefer not being
directly involved in the coding.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

C'est dans la boue la plus nauséeuse que plongent les racines de
l'étincelante fleur de lotus. -- in Sri Raoul le petit yogi (Gaudelette)