Re: Intelligent mirroring

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 08:47:47AM +0200, Martin F. Krafft wrote:

> also sprach Matt Zimmerman (on Fri, 10 Aug 2001 01:03:32AM -0400):
> > When last I checked, rsync would create the updated file under a unique name,
> > then rename it over the existing file, so this should work as advertised.
>
> no, because there will exist a time span, during which Packages.gz is
> the new version, listing plenty of new packages which haven't yet been
> downloaded to /pool.

No, that Packages.gz will be in the debian.new directory, while the old one
(which is where users will go) still has the old packages _and_ Packages.gz.
When the directory is switched, the new packages and Packages.gz go in at the
same time.

Trust me.  Look at the original message again.  This is exactly the problem
that is solved by this approach.

--
 - mdz