Re: The merits of CVS for package development

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 10:24:37PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> In Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:27:51 +0300 Eray cum veritate scripsit :
>
> > I do all my other coding in cvs, but I hadn't used version control for
> > developing debian packages.  I'd installed cvs-buildpackage but I never had
> > the time to try it; it's time I should take a look at it.
>
> One thing lacking in Debian now is coordination of CVS repository.  Since
> everyone is using private CVS repositories (they are enormously useful), when
> changing maintainership, or preparing NMU, the benefit of CVS cannot be used.
>
> (and /me looks for Debian base CVS repository...)

I brought up this idea back in January:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200101/msg02996.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200102/msg00013.html

Since around that time, I've been doing daily imports of most source packages
of priority standard and higher (see the thread for exceptions).  I've
restored ViewCVS access at:

http://alcor.ddts.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/debian/?cvsroot=DebianStandard

It's not as useful as it could be, due to a lack of meaningful CVS log
messages.  I haven't been monitoring it all that closely, and I didn't notice
that I had to add a new command line option to cvs-inject to get the benefits
when my wishlist bug #87190 was closed.  Fortunately, it's not too difficult to
re-import everything and get the log messages, and I'll try to do that soon.

The repository is about 899M and grows at an unpredictable (though manageable)
rate.  After the initial import, the archive has only grown about 300M over the
past 6 months.  I also keep a mirror of all of the source packages (including
those which can't be imported), which grows more linearly, and is currently
about 712M.

I'm going to be moving soon, and I doubt that I'll have the bandwidth to
continue doing this, at least not initially.  If someone else has the bandwidth
and a few gigs of disk that they would like to donate, it might be a good idea
for me to pass it off.

--
 - mdz