Re: exploring debian's users and groups

Joey Hess writes:
 > lp:
 >
 > 	HELP: I assume it's used by lpr, as I have not owned a printer in
 > 	      years and have not used lpr in longer, I can't say what
 > 	      exactly the user is used for or what the group is used for.
 > 	      Or is the idea to make the printer device owned by one or the
 > 	      other, to let eg, users in group lp cat files to it directly?

dunno about the bsd lpr, but /var/spool/lpd/* are daemon:lp, and
/dev/lp* are root:lp. maybe users must be in the lp group to print to
locally-attached printers? it doesn't seem necessary to print to
network printers.

 > postgres:
 >
 > 	HELP: Presumably used by the postgresql database?

yes. no idea why this user exists in base-passwd; mysql-server creates
& removes the "mysql" user & group on installation/removal.

 > www-data:
 >
 > 	HELP: Er, I should know this, but this box doesn't run apache and
 > 	      I'm offline.

afaik, webservers are supposed to run as www-data:www-data. files
accessible by the webserver should never be writable by the www-data
user or group, so if the webserver gets cracked, the site can't be
defaced. i assume that they don't use the daemon user for the same
reason (e.g. limiting the damage if it's cracked).

 > disk:
 >
 > 	HELP: Well, I have some disk devices in /dev/ owned by the group,
 > 	      but I can't see the point. On another system, I noticed that some
 > 	      of the files lilo puts in /boot/ are also owned by disk. I
 > 	      can imagine local uses for such a group, like if you want to
 > 	      give some users in the group direct access to some hard disk.
 > 	      But these uses I've found on my systems seem to preclude
 > 	      doing that easily; if I put a user in group disk here, they'd
 > 	      have write access to the root filesystem.

may be a bit off-topic, but how should removable disk devices
(e.g. iomega zip/jaz) be handled? it's nice to let power-users and/or
sysadmins have direct access to these devices, for example to
partition or mkfs them without using root. but it's not necessarily a
good idea to give disk group membership in these cases.

 > dip:
 >
 > 	HELP: WHat did this group's name signify? DIaluP?
 >
 > 	pppd may only be run by users in the dip group (and by root of
 > 	course).

this group has always irritated me. it seems awfully specific to the
"dip" package, which handles slip connections. as i understand it,
it's really used to control who may initiate dial-up
connections. a bunch of ppp files (/etc/chatscripts/* & some stuff in
/etc/ppp) are in the dip group. but we have a "dialout"
group. wouldn't it be better to roll this into the dialout group?

--
|  :; ;:      "i feel the cold knife blade of disgust in my gut, like a shot." |