Re: exploring debian's users and groups

On Tue, 07 Aug 2001, Joey Hess wrote:

> uucp:
> 	HELP: Presumably used for UUCP, which I know nothing of.

> dialout:
> 	HELP: Is this used for /dev/cua devices or something?

The uucp user and group is used by the UUCP subsystem. It owns
spool and configuration files. uucico, a binary of the uucp package,
is sgid dialout to be able to open the serial ports to dial out.
It is suid uucp and may only be run by users in the uucp group.

					yours,
					peter

    messages preferred.    | : :' :    By professionals,