Re: exploring debian's users and groups

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 02:53:11AM -0700, Ian Eure wrote:
> Joey Hess writes:
[snip of some users/groups]
>  > disk:
>  >
>  > 	HELP: Well, I have some disk devices in /dev/ owned by the group,
>  > 	      but I can't see the point. On another system, I noticed that some
>  > 	      of the files lilo puts in /boot/ are also owned by disk. I
>  > 	      can imagine local uses for such a group, like if you want to
>  > 	      give some users in the group direct access to some hard disk.
>  > 	      But these uses I've found on my systems seem to preclude
>  > 	      doing that easily; if I put a user in group disk here, they'd
>  > 	      have write access to the root filesystem.
>  >
> may be a bit off-topic, but how should removable disk devices
> (e.g. iomega zip/jaz) be handled? it's nice to let power-users and/or
> sysadmins have direct access to these devices, for example to
> partition or mkfs them without using root. but it's not necessarily a
> good idea to give disk group membership in these cases.

I've used the 'floppy' group for these, at least when I had one that
still worked. Come to think of it, it would be very useful to have
some method to change the group for certain things like removable
media devices, especially those that can be hot-plugged.

[snip of another]

--
Ferret

I will be switching my email addresses from @ferret.dyndns.org to
@mail.aom.geek on or after September 1, 2001, but not until after
Debian's servers include support. 'geek' is an OpenNIC TLD. See
http://www.opennic.unrated.net for details about adding OpenNIC
support to your computer, or ask your provider to add support to
their name servers.