Re: X video memory needs (was: X timings upset by last upgrade)

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 10:18:51AM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Here's a possible clue: there appears to be a depth requirement of
> 32 for framebuffer.  Is that something new?  I have never tried to
> use framebuffer; is it now included by default?  Does it use
> video memory?  I have changed down to depth 16 and the framebuffer depth
> is now also 16.

24 bpp is not a standard depth for X, and quite a number of programs display
their icons and pictures wrong if you use it. To address this problem, X 4.1
now splits the depth into the visual bpp (24), and the framebuffer bpp (which
must be >= visual bpp). If you have a visual bpp of 24, you can choose a fbbpp
of 24 or 32. By default, 32 is chosen. Change it by adding DefaultFbbpp = 24 to
the Screen section of XF86Config-4.

  Guus Sliepen <guus@sliepen.warande.net>