Re: problems with large files

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> > So upgrading to woody would fix this?
>
> think so, yes.

I went through this same thing a couple weeks ago.  An upgrade to woody
will certainly fix this, with the glaring exception of gzip.  gzip-1.2.4
won't handle files larger than 2GB regardless of the version of glibc.
gzip-1.3 can, but I'm not sure that it has ever been officially released
by the GNU folks.  (It is under the GPL though.)  Other folks are using it
(RedHat, Solaris, etc.), so it would be nice if Debian had it too.

If you need the sources, they can be had from:
	ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/

Any chance we could sqeeze this into woody?  It's going to be lame to
finally have LFS on Debian and have gzip not able to use it.
tony

  tony@mancill.com    | Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand.
http://www.debian.org | Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand.