Re: format of Maintainer: field

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 09:09:21PM +0300, Richard Braakman wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 06:17:14PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> > any reason it is not in Policy?
> > anyway, it explicitly says format should be Name <e-mail>,
> > even mentions that Name can contain "." which is
> > against RFC-822 syntax, and debian programs must be able
> > to cope with this.
>
> Ah, that is the definition from the old packaging manual.
> Isn't is a complete enough specification?  It's unfortunate

well, yes, but packaging manual is not in woody, and new
maintainers (and even not so new, like me) have no
canonical information about it (if I could have found it,
I would not have asked)

> that what it specifies is not directly RFC-822 compatible,
> but we have to live with that.  It's always easy enough to
> extract the part between angle brackets and use that.

maybe it's better than strict RFC-822 conformance, because
that can lead to very awkward constructs sometimes.

Extracting the text between <> is easy, I just hope
nobody would have < or > in his name :-)