Re: format of Maintainer: field

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 06:17:14PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> any reason it is not in Policy?
> anyway, it explicitly says format should be Name <e-mail>,
> even mentions that Name can contain "." which is
> against RFC-822 syntax, and debian programs must be able
> to cope with this.

Ah, that is the definition from the old packaging manual.
Isn't is a complete enough specification?  It's unfortunate
that what it specifies is not directly RFC-822 compatible,
but we have to live with that.  It's always easy enough to
extract the part between angle brackets and use that.

--
Richard Braakman
Will write free software for money.