Re: cramfs problems, also file(1)

>>"Filip" == Filip Van Raemdonck <mechanix@debian.org> writes:

 Filip> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 10:46:40AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
 >> On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 09:27:45AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
 >> >
 >> > When I do apt-get install kernel-source-x.x.x, I want the file
 >> > in /usr/src/ to  be pristine, not something modified.
 >>
 >> Then you should do apt-get --tar-only source kernel-source-x.x.x.

 Filip> Now what if I have a slow and/or expensive internet
 Filip> connection. I have the debian binary cds handy, but not
 Filip> source, and I want to update to the latest kernel by using
 Filip> patches to the source deb that's on the cd. Only problem is
 Filip> I can't, as the patches are highly likely to fail.

	This has already been pointed out to be incorrect (you can get
 another patch, and revert the changes made on Debian soureces

	You can't please all the people all the time. I suspect that
 people who look at Debian's packaged kernel sources, for the most
 part, want to get the kernel corresponding to the official kernel
 image.

	Catering to the most common case is more important than
 catering to people who have a) a slow connect; b) only binary CD's,
 and c) do not want to download a relatively small diff file.

	manoj
--
 "Roman Polanski makes his own blood.  He's smart -- that's why his
 movies work." A brilliant director at "Frank's Place"