Re: sponsor rules

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 08:39:20AM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> Sponsorship only came about when the new maintainer proccess was stopped.
>
> I like to hope that sponsorship was only a solution to a short term
> problem and doesnt belong anymore.

I think the meaning of sponsorship has changed since it was invented.
While at first it was a short-term solution to compensate for the
lack of a working NM application system it has has now the status of
a "tutorial", where the tutor/sponsor teaches a new maintainer about
Debian -- the sponsorship ensures that a NM applicant is fit for the
job. Sponsored packages are evaluated for the Tasks & Skills check.

So, all in all, I think this changed meaning of sponsorship is positive
and we should keep sponsors.

 - Sebastian