Re: Solaris/Debian

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 10:25:10AM -0400, Chad Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 08:07:18AM +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:
> >   There was such project once, did anything ever come out of it? Anyone have
> > clue about how many programs would compile into debs on solaris if dpkg/debconf and
> > pals would be compiled and user did 'apt-get -b source <packet>'
>
> Ben Collins worked on it for a long time.  I started investigating it
> independently, and became discouraged after a talk with him about its
> difficulty.  He and I were planning slightly different attacks, but it
> still seems a Hard problem.
>
> I don't have a good presentation, but I started to write about it at
> and I didn't get very far.  hth.

I dont know how reassuring this is, however at my uni a few years ago one of
the adminbs in the Cs department set up rpm packaging for all the software
that ends up in /usr/local somewhere or similar. (GNU stuff etc)

This admin has since been converted to debian (and no longer works in the
department) however the other admins still use this method AFAIK as the chief
admin is a huge mandrake/redhat fan. Anyway they got rpm building to work.

I cant imagine getting the deb building tools to work could be that hard,
maybe do it inside a special gnuified chroot or something.

        See You
            Steve

--
sjh@wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh/