Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

Hi,

At Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:19:11 +0200,
"J?rgen A. Erhard" <juergen.erhard@gmx.net> wrote:

> Even replacing ? with ue can be incorrect... because ue is not
> necessarily ? (Goethe is Goethe, not G?the, and when I see "Moeller" I
> don't know whether that's "M?ller" or in fact "Moeller")

I read many question marks...  Please don't use (I think) ISO-8859-1
character here just as I don't use Kanji here.  (I know almost people
in the world cannot read Kanji and, more importantly, many people in
the world use Kanji-disabled mail and terminal softwares.)

> This is completely separate from the Kanji->ASCII translation.  A
> comparable example would be that you (yes, I mean you, Tomohiro ;-)
> had to replace one Kanji with two other Kanji that were similar in
> (combined) meaning to the Kanji you replaced.  And not ("just")
> transliterating it in a completely different character set.

Yes, completely separated.  However, in different meaning.  For Japanese,
we have a systematic way to write our names in ASCII characters.
(Otherwise I cannot submit my scientific paper to international
journals, which mean I cannot do my work!)  I also know there are
Debian developers who use ASCII characters for their names in
Maintainer: field, GPG key ID, and e-mail signatures from China,
Korea, Thai, Russia, and Israel.  Though we are not very happy,
we accept this situation.

The cited opinion insists that Hungarian people cannot accept
to write their names in ASCII characters.  This is the problem!

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/