Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

    Radovan> On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 04:09:40PM +0200, Andreas Bombe wrote:
    >> On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 09:11:47PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
    >> > Hi,

    >> > Then, may I write my name in non-ASCII letters (Kanji in EUC-JP
    >> > encoding) in Maintainer: field ?  Please use ASCII transcription
    >> > (for example, &uuml; -> u) for this purpose.
    >>
    >> &uuml; (which is 'ü') would be 'ue' in ASCII, not 'u'.  These umlaut
    >> dots aren't just decoration that can be left out.

    Radovan> In German. In (e.g.) Hungarian, &uuml is just &uuml and
    Radovan> cannot be replaced with ue. The least incorrect way (but
    Radovan> incorrect still) is to replace it with u.

Even replacing ü with ue can be incorrect... because ue is not
necessarily ü (Goethe is Goethe, not Göthe, and when I see "Moeller" I
don't know whether that's "Möller" or in fact "Moeller")

This is completely separate from the Kanji->ASCII translation.  A
comparable example would be that you (yes, I mean you, Tomohiro ;-)
had to replace one Kanji with two other Kanji that were similar in
(combined) meaning to the Kanji you replaced.  And not ("just")
transliterating it in a completely different character set.

Bye, J

--
 Jürgen A. Erhard  (juergen.erhard@gmx.net, jae@users.sourceforge.net)
          My WebHome: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard