Re: Solaris/Debian

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 10:25:10AM -0400, Chad Miller wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 08:07:18AM +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:
> >   There was such project once, did anything ever come out of it? Anyone have
> > clue about how many programs would compile into debs on solaris if dpkg/debconf and
> > pals would be compiled and user did 'apt-get -b source <packet>'
>
> Ben Collins worked on it for a long time.  I started investigating it
> independently, and became discouraged after a talk with him about its
> difficulty.  He and I were planning slightly different attacks, but it
> still seems a Hard problem.
>
> I don't have a good presentation, but I started to write about it at
> and I didn't get very far.  hth.
> 						- chad

  I see, wonder if Ben Collins would tell about the problems he found in the
project? I assume that everyone, who has administraded or even used solarises
has seen how cluelessly programs are installed and maintained there, most
common solaris installation seems to be copying the binary of another solaris.
While I've haven't administrad any linux/unix boxen in 2 years currently, I
still hate to see who the boxens are setup. And guess I was seeing this bit
too easy project, I honestly thought that just by compiling the debian tools
to solaris, the widely used GNU-tools would install just by typing 'apt-get -b
source <package>', guess not, but what are there the reasons?

  Also if someone is working for a company doing commercial distribution like
solaris I'd truly woul like to know what is the reason they don't apply some
humane way to install/remove administrade programs. Hell, for a engineer paid
$150k/year it wouldn't be too much to ask to code sun-get, when he could
'steal' the the code from GPLd code and release Solaris 10 with a
ETOOBIGPRICETAG ;).

--
	ytti