[OT] Re: Solaris/Debian

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Saku Ytti wrote:

>   Also if someone is working for a company doing commercial distribution like
> solaris I'd truly woul like to know what is the reason they don't apply some
> humane way to install/remove administrade programs. Hell, for a engineer paid
> $150k/year it wouldn't be too much to ask to code sun-get, when he could
> 'steal' the the code from GPLd code and release Solaris 10 with a
> ETOOBIGPRICETAG ;).

Although it's not the same as having Solaris .debs, pkg-get is quite nice.
See http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/.  At my employer, we're in the
process of writing a bff-get for AIX.  Goodbye Tivoli Monitoring and
Software Distribution, hello NetSaint and ???-get.  The odd thing is, no
matter how much money (and time and cycles) we save, we get paid the
same...  ;)

HTH,
tony

  tony@mancill.com     |  An ounce of perception,