Re: German template of avrprog

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Simon Richter wrote:

I would like to see some warning in it, that suid might include
root-compormise. (And I think will include, though nobodz might find and
abuse it).

> Template: avrprog/suid
> Type: boolean
> Default: false
>  avrprog needs direct hardware access to be able to work correctly. At
>  present, this can only be achieved by running it with root privileges. To
>  make the program useful for non-root users, you can install it in a way
>  that makes the program run as root regardless of who called it. If you
>  want this, say yes, otherwise, say no.
*  Note that saying yes is a security risk.
> Description-de: Wollen Sie avrprog suid root installieren?
>  avrprog muss direkt auf Hardware zugreifen, um korrekt arbeiten zu
>  können. Dazu muß es mit root-Rechten ausgeführt werden. Um das Programm
>  für normale Benutzer einsetzbar zu machen, kann es so installiert werden,
>  daß es immer mit root-Rechten ausgeführt wird, unabhängig davon, wer es
>  aufruft.
*  Allerdings k"onnte dies eine Sicherheitl"ucke "offnen.
>  Wenn Sie das wollen, sagen sie "ja", ansonsten "nein".

(Sorry, can't type "o=oe=ö or "u=ue=ü here)

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link