Re: German template of avrprog

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Pedro Zorzenon Neto wrote:

> Template: avrprog/suid_warning
> Type: text
>  Avrprog uses direct hardware access to program the devices, then
>  it needs to run setuid root.
>  Please read /usr/share/doc/avrprog/README for more info.

This reads as if avrprog wouldn't run without suid, which could confuse
users if you ask whether they want suid installation a few seconds later.
Also I would place the explanatory text into the long description of the
suid question, so if you are using a frontend which just asks the question
and offers a "Help" button you have to full text available then. Also,
Debian isn't an expert only distribution anymore, so you shouldn't assume
familiarity with the suid bits.

>  See also /usr/share/doc/avrprog/avrprog.png for hardware schematics.

This should be a separate note, I think.

My suggestion:

Template: avrprog/suid
Type: boolean
Default: false
 avrprog needs direct hardware access to be able to work correctly. At
 present, this can only be achieved by running it with root privileges. To
 make the program useful for non-root users, you can install it in a way
 that makes the program run as root regardless of who called it. If you
 want this, say yes, otherwise, say no.
Description-de: Wollen Sie avrprog suid root installieren?
 avrprog muss direkt auf Hardware zugreifen, um korrekt arbeiten zu
 können. Dazu muß es mit root-Rechten ausgeführt werden. Um das Programm
 für normale Benutzer einsetzbar zu machen, kann es so installiert werden,
 daß es immer mit root-Rechten ausgeführt wird, unabhängig davon, wer es
 aufruft. Wenn Sie das wollen, sagen sie "ja", ansonsten "nein".

Template: avrprog/schematics
Type: note
 Since you have installed avrprog, you may also want to take a look at the
 hardware schematics that come with it. You can find them under
 /usr/share/doc/avrprog/avrprog.png
Description-de: Schaltpläne wurden in /usr/share/doc installiert
 Zu avrprog gibt es frei verfügbare Schaltpläne. Diese wurden unter
 /usr/share/doc/avrprog/avrprog.png installiert.

Also you might want to think about an avrprog group, so only selected
users will be able to use avrprog.

   Simon

--
GPG public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: DC26 EB8D 1F35 4F44 2934  7583 DBB6 F98D 9198 3292