slapd hanging

After running reliably since the 18th of June my slapd suddenly starts to
hang for no apparent reason.  It is under light load (serving local
accounts through the PAM and NSS modules for my laptop) and hasn't had
such problems in the past (although it's rare for me to go so long
without a reboot).

Has anyone had similar problems?

The version I am using is 2.0.11-2.

I am running all the latest unstable packages.  It seems now that I am
getting these hangs regularly and I don't think it's directly related to
slapd (which is why I am not reporting it as a bug in slapd).  It seems
that upgrading something else has made this become a regular occurance.

Any ideas?